How to install Git on Microsoft Windows
Git for Windows can be downloaded from gitforwindows.org. Please, check the system requirements and choose the version suitable for your Windows installation.
Run the git installer. During the installation, you have a number of options to choose from. We suggest to use the following (in order of appearance of the selection screens):
- Installation directory: use default or a directory of your choice
- components to install: default settings
- program shortcut: default settings
- editor: Choose a command line editor such as VIM or Nano
- PATH environment: Git from the Windows command prompt and allow 3rd party software
- HTTPS backend: OpenSSL library
- Line end conversions: Check out as-is, commit Unix-style endings
- Terminal emulator: Use MinTTY
- Extra options: default settings.
If you have completed the installation process successfully, the Git Bash app should be available in the start menu. This app emulates a command prompt from which you can do all required actions in the following.